Suspension trainers have emerged as one of the biggest trends of 2016 and have taken the fitness world by storm. This type of suspension training has taken off due to the numerous benefits it offers. This style of exercising was developed by a former Navy Seal and has become hugely popular in the last few years. More and more fitness enthusiasts are discovering the many benefits of suspension training.
Suspension training equipment is a great way to activate the core as it allows for unilateral movement and provides a pulling motion. Also, you can perform over 300 bodyweight exercises, without the need for any additional equipment.
Today you will find suspension trainers in most training studios and commercial gyms. Fortunately, these can be purchased relatively cheaply, so you needn’t worry if you don’t have access to one at your local gym. They are suited for use at home, your office or even outdoors. The only requirement is a tree or a door to attach them to and some space to work out. With this simple piece of equipment, you’ll soon be exercising muscles, you never knew you had.
(Make Sure You Read Our : Best Wall and Ceiling Mounted Pull Up bars of 2017)
what is a suspension trainer
Suspension training refers to a form of body weight support anchored to a strong point, consisting of a system of straps and ropes. The acceptance of this form of exercise is largely due to its versatility and portability.
suspension training benefits
- Great core workout
- Suitable for beginners and pros
- Cardiovascular and Muscular workout
- Targeted Training
- Low Impact
Suspension training is an exercise concept that dates back to the 1800’s and has been around for centuries. In recent years its popularity has grown by leaps and bounds. Suspension training refers to a form of body weight support anchored to a strong point, consisting of a system of straps and ropes. The acceptance of this form of exercise is largely due to its versatility and portability. Keep reading for 5 more reasons why you should make suspension training a part of your exercise routine:
Great core workout: The core muscle groups offer several benefits to your stability and stability. Suspension training is a great way to work out the core on a regular basis. This is turn provides a stable and strong base for every movement in various parts of the body.
Suitable for beginners and pros: It is easy to set varying intensity levels on a suspension trainer, depending on the type of workout you are looking for. You simply need to position your body at a different level.
Cardiovascular and Muscular workout: You are exercising both aerobic and anaerobic systems when training on a suspension system. The faster you train, the more cardiovascular benefits you get.
Targeted Training: Suspension systems allow for unilateral training. So you can target your problem areas and work a single side of your body.
Low Impact: Suspension training puts less pressure on you joints, making it a low impact form of exercise.
Emerge EX2 Suspension Trainer
WOSS Attack Trainer
TRX Suspension Trainer System: TRX Suspension Training Reviews
GoFit Gravity Bar Bodyweight Training System
Crosscore 180 Bodyweight Trainer
Kylin Sport Heavy Duty Pro Suspension Trainer
Best Suspension Trainers of 2017
If you are looking to make this type of training a part of your exercise routine, this is our guide to the best suspension trainers you can buy today. We will discuss all the factors you need to take into consideration when selecting a suspension trainer for your home gym. We will break down the benefits of suspension training and also include some useful tips to get the most out of your investment.
Through extensive research, we have narrowed down the 6 top suspension trainers available on the market today. We will also take a look at the positives and negatives of the shortlisted options, so you can make an informed choice and decide how to spend your money.
EX1 from Emerge came out as the top contender. It is available at a reasonable price point and provides a host of great benefits, normally seen only on more expensive models. WOSS Attack Training System emerged as the second runner-up. This device scored high due to some outstanding innovations. It comes with rubber handles and a connector for the center strap which adds instability. This is a definite high performer and comes at an enticing price.
The Crosscore 180 BodyTrainer has useful and innovative features such as a simple pin switch and a unique pulley system. The original suspension trainer is the TRX, which has a lot of great features and supporting materials. But this is a lot more expensive, and there are other cheaper alternatives that offer similar benefits.
The Kylin Sport Heavy Duty system is an excellent solid beginner option, and the GoFit Gravity System is a great piece of equipment to buy if you are looking for a doorway trainer.
The table of contents below can help you navigate the various parts of the article:
Suspension Trainer Reviews
The EX1 from Emerge is a great affordable option, which comes with all the features of premium models. It is an excellent suspension trainer which does not compromise on quality, unlike some of the other budget trainers available. It in fact is superior to many high-end models due to its enhanced core focus, greater mobility and flexibility.
- Great Value for money
- 1.5-inch thick military grade webbing
- Slip resistant stabilizer ring and grip handles
- Convenient carry bag
- Lack of a well-known brand name
The Emerge EX1 Suspension Trainer comes with heavy duty webbing made of nylon that is second to none. They can withstand over a thousand pounds of resistance. The cross stitching features on the suspension training straps make them extremely strong. The various other components are of the highest quality. This is a stellar product at an incredibly low price.
The standout feature in the WOSS Trainer is its innovative D-Ring that the center workout straps pass through. This makes it less stable, which means a more intense workout for your core and a greater workout challenge. This also makes it more versatile and allows for a wider range of exercises. Additionally, the rubber sleeve grips provided help you get a safe and efficient workout.
- Innovative D-Ring: The straps feature a D-ring for the center straps to pass through, which gives you more flexibility in terms of the number of different workout options.
- Rubber Sleeves: The high-quality rubber handles give you a more secure, firm grip and are also more comfortable.
- Heavy duty webbing: The strap needs to be incredibly strong and sturdy as it is what your body suspends from. The webbing provided on these straps is military grade, and long lasting, so you can be assured of safe workouts for many years to come.
- Convenience: The WOSS suspension trainer comes with a training DVD and a convenient carry bag. It is also light weight which makes it extremely portable.
- Small carabiners: The carabiners are small in size, which reduces their durability.
The WOSS Attack system has truly unique features such as the D-ring and rubber handles that even some premium models don’t have. It is available at a fraction of the price of some of its competitors. It is made up of high-quality materials and is extremely versatile and durable.
The original suspension trainer is the TRX training system. It uses gravity and body weight and consists of an easy to use strap adjustment system. The system consists of the TRX extension strap with two handles and two-foot cradles. The door anchor provided is another convenient feature which is useful when you don’t have a cross beam or bar to attach the straps. Also, a comprehensive DVD and booklet are available with set-up and usage instructions. The system comes with a carry bag and is light and portable.
The TRX Suspension System allows you to change strap positions easily, in a matter of seconds. It helps build core stability, flexibility, and strength. It is extremely versatile and allows you to execute various types of exercises using your own body weight. Keep reading for a full TRX training review.
- User-friendly: The TRX System is easy to use and can be set up in seconds. It comes with quick snap carabiners and one pull strap adjustment which allow you to assemble it in no time.
- Versatility: You can enjoy a diverse workout routine with very few components. This is a multipurpose, multitasking device which gives you the convenience of training anywhere. It also takes up less space, and you can exercise various muscle groups with a single piece of equipment.
- Portability: TRX suspension equipment is easy to carry even when you are traveling, thanks to the compact mesh bag provided. It can be packed into a bag or a suitcase with ease.
- Exercise Booklet and DVD: The system comes with a DVD and Booklet that cover several exercise routines. These are well researched and put together providing great added value.
- Webbing on Handles: The handles allow for a firm grip as they are made up of soft webbing. They are also comfortable for both hands and feet.
- Price: This is one of the more expensive suspension trainers available.
- Not Customizable: There is no provision to add additional pieces of equipment to the straps on the TRX.
The TRX is the original suspension trainer many fitness enthusiasts opt for this due to its portability, ease of set-up and comprehensive exercise guide that comes along with it. It sets the industry standard and uses just your body weight and gravity. The only major downside is the price, so if you are simply looking for a piece of equipment that will get the job done, then this may not be the right choice for you.
The GoFit Gravity Bar System is specifically meant for use as a doorway suspension trainer. It allows you to train even if you don’t have overhead mounting space available. So if you are struggling with the issue of limited space, this may be the one for you. This can be used with any standard doorway and locks in place securely. It can easily bear up to 300 pounds of weight. It also has a unique push-button strap adjustment feature.
- Value for money: The GoFit system is reasonably priced and It provides a complete home training system at an affordable price.
- Works on any standard door: This system can be mounted in any standard doorway and can be locked in place for a safe, efficient workout.
- Easy to adjust: You simply need to push a button to adjust the straps. This frees the straps so they can be adjusted to your desired length.
- Additional Pull-up bar: The GoFit system includes a pull-up bar, allowing you to have, not only a great suspension system but also a way to get in your regular pull ups and chin ups.
- Detailed Instruction Booklet and DVD: The system comes with a useful booklet and DVD, which are useful whether you are a beginner or at an advanced level.
- Not portable: This is the less portable and compact than the other suspension trainers on this list.
- Less customization possible: the straps and bar are not removable, which limits the number of workout possibilities.
This is a suspension trainer option that is versatile, stable and easy to use. It is the best choice to go for if you are looking for a quality doorway suspension trainer.
The CrossCore180 Rotational Bodyweight System consists of a pulley system that creates an enhanced level of instability. This improves the core training aspect of the workouts you perform. It allows you to use a greater range of motion while exercising. It also comes with handles that can be attached to the system with carabiners.
- Unique Pulley System: This system features a rope which passes through a movable pulley to create more instability and increases the difficulty level of an exercise. This causes the stabilizer muscles and core to become more engaged.
- Pin Lock: If you are looking for a less intense workout, you can reduce the instability by inserting a pin. Doing this converts it into a conventional suspension trainer.
- Price: The Crosscore 180 Bodyweight Trainer is an expensive device. However, it is important to remember that if offers two trainers in one – a traditional suspension trainer as well as a pulley suspension.
- Weight: The system weighs almost twice as much as most other models on the market. It is a solid unit, featuring solid steel buckles, pulleys, and heavy duty webbing. Although it comes with a carry bag, its weight decreases the portability factor.
The Crosscore 180 system gives you two trainers in one. This device has a lot going for it. However, this comes at an added cost. You can exercise with a greater level of intensity and get quicker results. With the insertion of a pin, it can also be quickly converted back to a standard suspension trainer.
The Kylin Sport system provides full suspension experience at a competitive price. It is a no frills suspension trainer that provides you with a stable multi use workout. Although it doesn’t have unique features or innovations, it is a solid, dependable trainer that gets the job done. It can be mounted on a doorway or a ceiling, which is an added advantage.
- User-Friendly: The system has an easy button controlled strap length. It can also be set up and used easily.
- Resilience: The Kylin Sport Heavy Duty Pro Suspension Trainer is made up of high-quality materials and will give you a great workout for many years to come. The straps, handles, and buckles are made out of durable, heavy duty materials, and the straps are made of heavy webbing.
- Portability: The entire unit weighs just a couple of pounds and can be packed into a tiny bag which comes as part of the system.
- Instructional material: The system does not come with an instructional manual or DVD.
The Kylin Sport Suspension Trainer is a stable, dependable system that will provide you with years of solid workouts. It offers great value for money and is easy to set up and change between exercises. This makes it an extremely versatile and user-friendly option.
Factors To Consider When Buying A Suspension Trainer: A Guide
When you are looking for a suspension trainer for your home gym, it is important to take a few factors into consideration to choose one that meets your requirements. A lot of the suspension training systems look alike and offer similar features. Here are some of the features you need to pay attention to.
Good quality Straps: The straps are the most important part of the trainer. They need to be durable and strong as they are what suspend your body weight. Ensure that the straps are made of quality material. Also look for a trainer with buckles made of carbon fiber or some other sturdy material.
Comfortable Handles: A good quality suspension trainer must have a slip-resistant gripping surface. The handles must also be padded so that they are comfortable for prolonged use.
Sturdy Anchor Points: The anchor point must be extremely reliable, especially if you are using a doorway suspension system. Also, make sure that they don’t leave any dents or marks on the ceiling or door.
Compactness: Look for a suspension system that is relatively light and comes with a carry-on case. This will allow you to carry the system with you even when traveling and set it up whenever you feel like getting in a workout.
Instructional DVD or Booklet: If you are new to suspension training, look for a system that comes with a DVD or booklet with instructions on how to set up the gear. Some of these even have specific exercise routines and tips on how to do the workouts.
Among all the suspension trainers we looked at for the purpose of this article, the EX1 from Emerge came out as the best training system for home use. It is resilient, versatile and affordably priced. It offers additional features at a significantly cheaper cost than many of its competitors. Click here for the top home pull up bars.
The WOSS suspension trainer comes in second due to its innovative features such as slip-resistant rubber handles for increased comfort, a D-Ring center to create instability, and close weave webbing. No matter what your budget or requirements are, with the broad range of options available, you can find a suspension trainer that is right for you.